Bona Fides Association and NGO Kane are looking for 3 volunteers to join their European Solidarity Corps project in Kalamata, Greece. To apply please fill in the application form and send your Curriculum Vitae and a motivational letter to the following emails: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com Please, write in the title „ESC in Kalamata”.
- Location: Kalamata, Greece
- Deadline: As soon as possible
- Duration: 6 months
- Mobility periods:
- 08.2019 – 01.2020
- 01.2020 – 07.2020
- 07.2020 – 01.2021
ABOUT THE HOSTING ORGANISATION:
Kalamata is famous for its active youth: local youth often gather together to set up projects, initiatives to improve the community for everybody. One of the centres for them to gather in the Social Youth Centre of Kalamata, funded by youngsters coming from the Nonprofit Organization “KANE”. This centre is a place created by young people for young people. A space for creation, culture, art and intercultural dialogue. The activities of the Youth Centre are based on voluntary work, skills exchange, peer education, learning by doing and non-formal learning. Youth are part of a place that offers opportunities in social life, professional and educational level and language support for those who cannot afford to pay private language institutions.
From its beginning it was, and still is, an initiative of young people aiming at creating an open space for helping youth to understand and use their creativity in order to discover new tools for expression and participation in social life.
It has developed several initiatives to promote social inclusion and improve the local community, with programs for youngsters, disabled, environment and animals.
– Participate in the programming, development and evaluation of the activities for young local people, people with fewer opportunities, animals and environment
– Develop steps and actions on social, environmental and cultural issues
– Prepare and running the “info point” for local youngsters to give information about European mobility projects (especially ESC projects), as well as about opportunities to work and study abroad
– Develop their own personal project: KANE, following the active sense of initiative of youngsters in the local community, encourages the volunteers to develop any personal project and idea that he\she might have
– Run workshops, info-days, special events, school visits, info-days, other cultural and educational activities in the city
– Participate in the language exchange workshops in the community
– Support KANE and the Youth Centre and their activities.
– Administrate and update the news website of the organization
– Write articles for the ESC Kalamata blog, bi-monthly volunteers’ newsletter and the electronic magazine of KANE: Link (2 times a month)
– Assist in the promotion of the organization’s websites and news, in the administration of the social media profiles of the organization, development of graphic designs and websites
– Search for partners to include in the organization’s projects and websites
– Make a video about the ESC experience before the end of the project
– Greek language course with a professional native teacher (twice per week)
– Follow the environmental schedule of the Youth Centre (cleaning of urban spaces, environmental actions, beach cleaning and park cleaning, looking for new solutions to increase local urban and natural farming etc.)
– Plant trees, vegetables and maintaining the grounds
– Observe and document (writing, photo, video) the farming processes in Kalamata and its results
– Prepare and carry out workshops on topics like the 3R (reduce-reuse-recycle) to educate local people to good practices
– Create campaigns to promote natural and urban farming
– Assist the organization’s staff in the research and rescue of animals in need and sensibilization of the local community about their care and help
– Support at the Therapeutic Horseriding Centre (a rehabilitative organisation giving children with physical and mental disabilities therapies using horses and horse riding.)
– Help at the Kefiab Center of Physical Treatment and Rehabilitation (a service provided by the hospital in Kalamata: through many activities and therapies – e.g. art workshops, music therapy, dance, cooking, massage…) the therapeutic centre works to improve the overall health and quality of life for people (teenagers and adults) with physical and mental disabilities)
– Support and collaboration with the Dog Rescue Centre that welcomes abandoned and stray dogs took off the streets.