Bona Fides Association and Dansk ICYE are looking for volunteers or residents from Poland to join our European Solidarity Corps project in Galten in Denmark in order to work with people with mental disabilities. To apply fill the form below and send it and your Curriculum Vitae to the following emails: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, write in the title “ESC in Galten, Denmark”.
Location: Galten, Denmark
- Deadline: As soon as possible
- Duration: 8 months
- Mobility period: as soon as possible – 1st March 2022
INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROJECT
Hertha is a living community for people with mental disabilities. It is located in Herskind, a small village whose inhabitants are integrated into the lives and rhythm of the residents.
The community consists of 2 houses and 19 residents, who have different psychological and mental challenges. Some of them are also physically impaired, but all of them have the ability to walk. The degree to which their disability affects their life varies, from high independence to a few without any verbal language. Most of them are aged 18-30 years.
In the village, there are different workshops where both the residents and the volunteers will work: Bakery, biodynamic market garden, biodynamic farm, dairy, weave shed, kitchen and laundry. In the workshops, we make products which are used by the residents and, moreover, the bakery and dairy products are sold in ecological shops to kindergartens and other institutions in the area.
- Punctual – the volunteer must show up on time to the agreed activities
- Tolerant, open, extrovert, who can take part in our daily life with a positive attitude
- Calm, flexible and accepting of adjustments to plans, since changes can occur with short notice.
- The volunteer will live at the project. Herskind is a small but quite vibrant community. There is a small grocery shop, a community house, where cultural and social events are held, and a sports club, where they play soccer, handball and badminton.
- The pedagogy at the project uses the Rudolf Steiner principles – these will not be taught explicitly, but are put into practised.
- Supervision and instructions will be provided by pedagogues specialised in working with mentally challenged people.
- The main activity for the volunteer will be to support the residents in the workshops, according to their interests and specific knowledge and experiences. The volunteer will helpin the bakery and kitchen.
- If the volunteer has a driving license, he/she will be in charge of being a chauffeur to different activities.
- Being able to play an instrument would be relevant, but not essential.
- Volunteers will only work with the less disabled and challenging cases.
Check more information here: https://www.icye.dk/en/icye-denmark/hertha-levefaellesskab/